Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Herbed (but not too herby) roasted turkey breast

We bought a deboned turkey breast from costco, so I went searching for a recipe since I had never cooked one before (it was actually precooked, but, ya know what I mean....). I found a recipe for Moist and Tender Turkey Breast that included, of all things, mayonnaise. Sounds nasty, but the mayo makes it so that you don't have to baste the turkey and it stays moist.

Ingredients:
  • 1 (5-20lb) fresh or frozen turkey breast or turkey, thawed
  • 1/4 cup butter, melted
  • 12 ounces of chicken broth, OR beer, OR white wine
  • 1-2 tbsp mayonnaise
  • 1-2+ tbsp corn starch (for gravy)
  • 1/4+ cups cold water (for gravy)


We used a 3.5 lb deboned turkey breast. The recipe tells you to melt the butter and mix it with the chicken broth, then pour over the turkey in a roasting pan (I lined it with foil). Then you rub on the mayonnaise and cook. That's it!

My alteration: Herbed (but not too herby) Roasted Chicken Breast
Since the recipe didn't call for any herbs or spices, I decided to make my own combination. I mixed together a little garlic powder and onion powder, and [more or less] equal amounts of dried oregano, thyme, and marjoram. Since I really dislike the stick-like or twiggy nature of thyme leaves (get stuck in my teeth and always picking them out of my mouth because of their texture), I threw it all into my mortar & pestle and ground it up nice and fine.

Instead of butter I had to use margarine (I bet it would've been even better with butter!), and I used Better than Bouillon for the chicken broth (would've been better with the real thing, but still turned out great!). After I poured that mixture over the turkey like the recipe called for, I rubbed it down with my herb mixture. Then I slathered it all with the mayo.

I used what I call my "handy dandy in-the-oven/out-of-the-oven thermometer" (digital cooking thermometer/timer) and watched the temperature rise to 140 degrees (at 350 for about an hour and a half).



Before and after. The cooked turkey looks crispy in the photo but it really wasn't, it was just nicely coated with the mayo mixture.

To make the gravy, I poured the "drippings" (butter & broth) into a small sauce pan to heat to a simmer. Meanwhile, I mixed 2 tbsp corn starch and 1/2 cup of cold water, and once the drippings were simmering I took it off the heat to whisk it all together. I put it back on the heat, and almost immediately it thickened into a gravy. Nice! And surprisingly, it tasted like turkey rather than chicken. 

 And as the title of the original recipe said, it turned out nice and moist as well.


I'll be sure to write this recipe down! The gravy had a great flavor to it because of the herbs I had rubbed on the turkey (and much of it fell into drippings as I was rubbing it onto the turkey).

Bon appetit!