Saturday, March 10, 2012

Project Runway All Stars 3/8

I didn't really understand the point of this challenge, and especially for the finals? They have to stay within budget for every single thing they do--so the staying within budget as a "challenge" isn't really that much of a stretch for them. I expected something more difficult than a simple limitation on material and I was disappointed in the whole concept. At this point in the show--especially as the LAST elimination challenge--I expected something more challenging!

On with the show.....


Austin's raincoat was rather ordinary and "blah." There isn't anything particularly different about it or spectacular. I think it would've been better if he'd had some sort of detailing added to it--stitching or buttons or pockets or a patterned lining--something with a different color to break up the monotony. It was cute and casual, sure; nice and light-weight for a late spring or summer rain. But it's not very far-fetched to expect it hanging on a rack at a regular store already. I think it seems like a safe thing to make, and "safe" supposed to get you by this late in the season.


Kenley's dress was the same kind of lenth and silhouette that she'll never be able to not design in her life, and it was cute. It was close to being almost ordinary as well, but the print was rather different. It's too bad the keyhole did her in--and I think she could've pulled off the keyhole if she had placed one of the peacock eyes directly where the keyhole was supposed to be, and just cut out the eye part of it. I thought that would be a rather simple solution but it wasn't even mentioned as something she could've done. Not a good idea? I think the sleeves were cute.


I honestly can't believe Michael decided to put his fate in to the same old dress that he always makes! Yes, you're good at draping. No, that's no the ONLY thing you can do! We've seen Michael do other things! It was a major gamble on his part to drape another dress so similar to what he's known for instead of doing something different. Put your chips "all in" based on your strength, or would it be considered recurrent? I think the judges might've been torn as well since he was in the bottom.

It seemed to be the same problem that Kenley had--both Michael AND Kenley repeatedly make the same type of clothing, and what-do-you-know? They both ended up in the bottom! I think Michael can do more with draping than Kenley can with 50's silhouettes, so I'm glad that he squeaked by.

And can I just say---PLEASE Joanna---get over your obsession with brassieres! I just want to kick her right in the shins every time she bitches about backless clothing. You don't like it? DON'T BUY IT! Geez.


Oh Mondo...once again, you scared me this round. It was another one of those occasions where I was afraid for your survival. I was banking on my belief that this show as made for Mondo and didn't actually think PR and Lifetime had the audacity to boot him, especially  now--but it's still nerve-wracking. Thank goodness my fashion sense seems to be pitiful, because the judges liked it so much that he won the challenge! But, like they said, none of these outfits were any of the contestants' best work. Maybe Mondo's was just considered the lesser of the 4 evils?

I totally claimed it. I knew who the top three would be, and I was hoping that it'd be the three boys (you can see that here). Here is a link to the neat Elimination Chart on wikipedia that sums up the contestants, challenges, and how they fared.

I hope everyone else is as excited as I am for the finale. I know Mondo's going to win. At least, I hope he wins so that I can keep watching PR. If Mondo gets cheated again...I'm not sure I can continue loving the show.

Can't wait to see what they're working on next week!