Thursday, May 17, 2012

Black Bean & Sweet Potato Enchiladas

Enchiladas are a very versatile meal that can be changed up with infinite combinations of stuffings and toppings. My most recent enchilada fascination has been with black beans and sweet potatoes. A delicious match! I decided to try it after reading about black bean and sweet potato chili and the combination intrigued me. I will have to find the chili recipe again sometime and try that too!



Today's music:
Yay for Twilight Soundtracks!

One reason why I love enchiladas is how easy they are to make. Mindless, really. The most complicated part is making the sauce or compiling (and trying to remember) all the ingredients you want to include. The ingredients I like to use for these enchiladas is:

  • red enchilada sauce, homemade or canned
  • black beans, cooked or canned
  • sweet potato
  • cheddar cheese, shredded
  • avocado
  • sour cream
  • black olives
  • chicken (obviously optional for vegetarian)
For tonight's dinner, I completely forgot the can of olives in the cupboard, but I added the leftover sauce I had made for Fiesta Lime Chicken the other day (which includes mayo, sour cream, salsa, milk, blackening spice, parsley, tabasco, dill weed, and cumin--I'll post that recipe next time I make it). 

1. First I made my enchilada sauce using all of these spices:


I actually ended up botching the sauce and I had to fix it with some tomato paste and water (I ran out of tomato puree), but it worked out. When I figure out my recipe perfectly I'll post it. 

2. I pierced my sweet potato medium-large) and zapped it in the microwave for 2 minutes, turned it over, and put it on for 2 minutes more. It was done perfectly and the skin peeled right off after I let it cool for a little while. 

3. I cooked two chicken breast tenders and diced them up for Andy's enchiladas--I didn't want chicken in mine. 

4. Opened a can of black beans. We tried making black beans out of bag last time, but despite soaking them overnight and cooking them they didn't turn out well so I think we're going to stick with canned. This is when I would open the black olives too, but I forgot about them tonight. 

5. Cup up an avocado.

6. Prepared the pan and made the enchiladas.

Fiesta Lime sauce, avocado, black beans, sweet potatos

Sweet potatoes, diced chicken, shredded cheddar cheese, and enchilada sauce

What mine looked like before I added the cheese.
Yuuuuummmmm. I usually have the avocado on the outside but this time I decided to try it on the inside. I think I like it better on the outside.

7. Baked at 350 degrees for 40 minutes so everything was nice and hot.

Two toothpicks with chicken, one toothpick without chicken.

As I said, "horcha-ta with our enchila-ta!"


What is great about all these ingredients is that if you have any leftover and no more room to make more enchiladas, you can always save them and use them on nachos. Enchilada sauce and all the fixings go really well on nachos!


You should give it a try, you might be surprised!