Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Sunflower Seed Butter

I had a bunch of sunflower seeds in the cupboard that went unused for-ever. Like, the "best used by" date was December 2010 for-ever. They were in a resealable package at least, and still tasted fine to me. So I figured I'd do something with them and try to make a seed butter. I looked up a recipe and got to work.

I worked off of a recipe over at Peas and Thank You. The Sunflower Seed Butter seemed rather simple to make. The only issue I had was that I didn't have any basic, "neutral"oil (like vegetable or canola); but I did have some coconut oil in the cupboard so I gave that a try.

I used:
  • 1 1/4 cups sunflower seeds, salted
  • 1.5 tbsp coconut oil, melted
  • cinnamon sugar
Basically all you do is put it in a blender or food processor and blend it down. I started with my blender:




I added the oil and blended some more:



Obviously you can see this is where I started running into trouble. It wouldn't keep blending that way, instead it was just making an eye-of-the-storm inside the center of the blender, no longer touching the seeds.

I briefly tried to use my mortar & pestle just to see if that could work, and....it didn't. If anything, that spoonful of nut butter got a hint of thyme infused into it but not really any more ground up.

So I decided to give my food processor a try even though I thought the same thing would happen. Actually, it worked!

Almost there.....

I did have to stop and scrape down the butter a number of times and run it again, but eventually it became runny enough that I didn't need to.

Done!

Great, right? Well...eh. I didn't like the taste of it. This was before I added any sugar, mind you. It was very...eek-tasting. I don't know how else to describe it. Sunflower seed overload, to say the least.
I spread some on a slice of wheat toast hoping that would tone it down, but it didn't. So I sprinkled on a bunch of cinnamon sugar that needed using up, tasted it, and added more (x5). I ate the toast but honestly I didn't like it. It was a fun experiment though.



So besides not enjoying the flavor of the sunflower seed butter, the only other complaint I'd have is the clean up. Maybe I can blame it on the coconut oil, but it was a bitch to clean all my equipment afterward. It was way more trouble than peanut butter ever is--natural or not. Very, very sticky.

Overall I'd say it was a success, at least creation-wise. I'm a picky eater so it never helps my experimentation with food recipes.

If you like all-natural peanut butter you might like this seed butter more than I did. I personally don't like all-natural peanut butter...I suppose when  I want peanut butter, I want 75% of it to be sugar. Oh well, I gave them both a try!