Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Twice-baked Potatoes


Tonight I decided to do something different with our potatoes rather than simply baking them or mashing them. I've never made "Twice Baked Potatoes," so why not? Seemed fool proof enough!

I worked off of a recipe on the Food & Wine website by Emeril Lagasse. Naturally, I had to change the recipe to make only 2 instead of 4 potatoes (plus he uses an extra one for stuffing), and no bacon. Oh well!

Here's what I did:

1. Scrubbed and washed 2 large potatoes. Covered a small baking pan with aluminum foil and preheated the oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Pierced the potatoes with fork all over, not just once or twice.
3. Rubbed them all over with extra virgin olive oil. Not too much--I sprayed it on with my Misto Sprayer first, then just rubbed it over.
4. Rubbed the potatoes with minced garlic and sprinkled with sea salt.
5. Placed on baking sheet (should spray the foil-covered sheet itself--the potatoes stuck to it) and baked for an hour and ten minutes (checked after an hour).
6. I took them out of the oven and placed them in a small pyrex dish, and since I needed them to be done at the right time to go with the steak, I put them in the freezer for 5 minutes to cool enough to handle. The pyrex dish just made them easier to deal with than the pan, and they stood up better when reheating too.
7. Sliced the potatoes open and spooned out the guts and put them in a bowl to mash.
8. Mashed the potato guts with a few tablespoons of butter, about a cup of shredded cheddar cheese, and a sauce of cream, garlic powder, and parmesan cheese that I had made the other day to go with leftover pizza (that didn't work well but I saved it and it worked well for this instead of milk or sour cream).
9. Spooned the potato guts back into the potato skins, sprinkled with sea salt and paprika to make it look pretty.
10. Baked at 350 for another 10-15 minutes to get them nice and hot.


Twice-baked Potatoes!



So good I didn't even need to eat them with sour cream! Which I always do for potatoes!




Fabulous with grilled steak! I know, no healthier veggies....but as we only have a week until we move, I think our meals are going to get simpler and simpler!

How am I ever going to stand a regular baked potato ever again when I know I can make this so easily?