Saturday, July 21, 2012

Berry Cobbler

I once made a cake using nothing but a can of soda and a box of cake mix. It came out wonderfully (and you can use diet too, though, it IS cake we're talking about...). And you can make so many different combinations! Orange soda and cream cheese frosting, or rootbeer and cream cheese frosting...I'm a cream cheese frosting nut!

Recently I became aware that the same could be done to make cobblers! So I gave it a try, and here it is.

All you need is fruit (fresh or frozen), a box of cake mix, and a can of soda (diet or regular). I chose to use frozen raspberries and blackberries with white cake mix and regular Sprite. You could make some amazing combinations with this too! Chocolate cake, red velvet cake, peaches, cherries, orange soda, mountain dew (which I wouldn't really be interested in, but....suit yourself!)...


  • Tip: I've read that, when baking, it's often best to use frozen fruit because it's picked in "peak season" when the fruit is sweetest, whereas fresh fruit often isn't quite ripe and thus not as sweet. With the little bit of baking I've done with fruit, I've found this to be true. 


First, spray a 9x13" pan with cooking spray.

I didn't know how much in the way of berries to use, so I basically just made sure there was a good layer covering the bottom of the pan. I think it was about 4 cups.


Then sprinkle the dry cake mix all over the berries (I forgot to take a picture of this). I didn't use all of the cake mix, but there was enough covering the berries that I couldn't see any of the berries underneath. Do not mix. 

Lastly, pour the soda over the berries and cake mix. I had bought a jug of Sprite so I simply measured out 12 ounces. DO NOT MIX! The bubbly-ness that forms on top is what gives the cobbler a nice crust. 


Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes. If you use fresh berries instead of frozen berries, you would probably have to cook the cobbler for a lot less time. I haven't tried fresh berries yet so I don't know how quickly it would cook!



This is the finished product. As you can see, not all of the cake mix dissolved into the soda and baked, but it added great flavor when eating it. It's not the prettiest thing but it was yummy!



We ate our cobbler with vanilla ice cream. When the ice cream melted and mixed in with the cobbler it tasted amazingly delicious!

Enjoy,



2 comments:

  1. I am going to try this.... i have a bunch of frozen cherries in the freezer. what kind of cake mix do you think would go well? with diet sprite??

    ReplyDelete