Friday, July 13, 2012

Strawberry Shortcakes

....with homemade whipped cream and biscuits! Strawberries were on sale today--$3 for two pounds--and they looked like they were in great shape (not mushy or moldy), so I thought, why not? I love strawberries. When I got home I wasn't sure what to do with them, but then I realized I had picked up whipping cream with a different intended use (I will hopefully post about a creamy basil pesto sauce sometime). I've always wanted to try making my own whipped cream, and I had Bisquick in the cupboard, so.....you know how it goes.

For this little impulsive project you'll need strawberries, whipping cream, confectioner's (powder) sugar, butter, bisquick, milk, vanilla extract, and sugar (or splenda).



My first order of business was to wash and trim my strawberries to make them ready for snacking while I prepared everything else. I washed them, cut off the tops, and ended up coring many of them with a tiny paring knife because some of them were so large I knew the stems inside might be tough.

The macro feature on my camera caught a pretty good shot of the little hairs on this strawberry. Makes them suddenly not quite as appetizing. I kept snacking anyway....

Red!

I placed my bowl and whisk (egg beater attachment) in the fridge to chill while I made the biscuits. I got the recipe for them off of the back of the Bisquick box.

Biscuits
2 1/3 cup Bisquick mix
2/3 cup cold milk
3 tbsp sugar (I used Splenda instead)
3 tbsp melted butter

Preheat oven to 425 degrees (450 degrees for high altitude, above 3500 feet). Mix ingredients until soft dough forms--it'll be lumpy.


Form into 6 "spoonfulls" onto an ungreased cookie sheet. It's a little hard to get them even into 6 lumps, but do the best you can.

I ended up taking some dough from the bigger balls (in the front) and adding it to the smaller ones (in the back) after taking this photo.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. My biscuits were a little crumbly so I think I'll bake them for less next time, or try them at 425 rather than 450 like a regular recipe calls for instead of the high altitude. But they were delicious anyway!

I couldn't get this picture to rotate for me for some odd reason. You'll just have to turn your head sideways to look at it!

While the biscuits were baking I made the whipped cream. It's easy! I worked off of a recipe from Gimme Some Oven!

Ingredients:
1 cup whipping cream
1-2 tbsp powder sugar (more/less taste)

Optional mix-ins:
1-2 tsp vanilla extract (which is what I used for regular whipped cream)
1-2 tsp almond extract
1-2 tsp mint extract
1-2 tsp bourbon
or any other favorite extract or liqueur

Chill your mixing bowl and beaters (a whisk attachment is preferred) for 15 minutes in the freezer before using. 
Combine the cream and sugar, and beat on low for 30 seconds to prevent splashing. Then switch to high until "peaks" form and it becomes stiffer like the whipped cream we all know and love! It only takes a few minutes.When it's almost thickened to your liking, add in the extract and finish mixing!

Here's what it'll look like:

Beginning

Bubbles! After the first few seconds of beating. 



Starting to thicken

Thicker!

Thickened to my preference. Yummy!

Serve immediately or refrigerate!

While warm, split the biscuits, top with sliced strawberries and whipped cream, and enjoy!