Friday, December 28, 2012

Edible Christmas Coal

I've baked and cooked so much over the holidays, but really only paid enough attention to take photos of one project, but it's a funky recipe so I hope you'll like it. Christmas coal! It's great for anyone on Santa's good list or his naughty list!

It's an easy recipe and if you can make rice crispy treats, then you can make Christmas coal. I found this recipe on Pinterest, and the link that I followed to it actually called them "No Bake Cookies & Creme Bars."

Ingredients
1- 16oz package of oreos (I used double stuff!)
5 cups large marshmallows (about 50 large marshmallows)
4 Tablespoons butter


Directions
Butter an 8X8 inch baking pan. Line the baking pan with parchment paper letting the paper extend up two sides of the pan and overhang slightly on both ends. Butter paper; set pan aside.


In the bowl of a food processor fitted with the metal blade, pulse Oreos until ground.





In a large, microwave safe bowl, melt butter and marshmallows in the microwave until puffed, about 1½ - 2 minutes (I melted the butter and the marshmallows in a pot on the stove on low-medium).


Stir in ground Oreo Cookies until combined. Transfer to prepared baking pan. Using a piece of wax paper, press mixture evenly into prepared pan.


Let set up for at least 10 minutes. Cut into bars and serve.


The oreo-marshmallow mixture was VERY sticky, so you might want to grease your spoon or spatula or whatever you use to press it into the pan. I'm not entirely sure the wax paper was necessary and will probably skip it next time since I'm buttering the pan.
OR......I might not use a pan at all. I could easily see the mixture cooling quickly enough so that you can use your hands to form it into balls or nuggets instead of making it into bars to give it more of a coal-like look. 

And here is a link to a marshmallow conversion page. The amount "5 cups of marshmallows" really bugged me because 5 cups of large marshmallows and 5 cups of little marshmallows will give you a big difference. That's why I always prefer ounces or grams with my kitchen scale. But I looked up this page just to find out how many marshmallows were in a cup and it gives plenty of other info as well.

Equivalents for Marshmallows

Hope you enjoy!


PS: this stuff gets really tough and chewy, so your jaw will get tired if you eat too many in a row!


1 comment:

  1. Please send me some! What a fun idea, I'd love to see them formed into little pillows like what coal bricks look like. :-D

    ReplyDelete