Thursday, July 17, 2014

The Paisley Chair




I got a couple of these chairs off of Craigslist to redo. I've got a thing for chairs since I want to have all different kinds of chairs at my dining room table ("all different kinds" = a whopping 4!).





First, the before picture:



Not that pretty, is it?

The first task is to unscrew the seat from the chair. I had a little trouble with this because the manufacturer decided to gorilla glue all the screws and L-brackets that were used to hold the two together. But with some chiseling with a screw driver, I was able to get the seat free from the frame.

Next was removing all the staples so that I could remove the old fabric. It took a long time and I definitely recommend investing in a staple remover if you're going to be doing chairs. (sorry, I didn't take photos of this part) 

The pad on on the seat was definitely not reuseable, so I got my phone chair pad from Joann's that was high density 2" foam and cut it out to fit the seat, with a little bit of overhang. Nothing's worse than finishing a chair and finding out that you didn't have enough of a lip for your foam and you can feel the edge of the chair seat on the backs of your legs!


This picture shows me in the midst of trimming it down. It's easiest to trace the chair seat on your foam and then cut it out (slightly larger like I said before). I have since bought and started using an electric knife to cut foam with, and I highly recommend it if you'll be doing a lot of foam cutting, especially anything over 2" thick. Anything thicker than 2" and I don't think I would have been able to cut the foam with a pair of scissors. This Black and Decker Electric Knife is the one I got because it's cheap. The only irritant about it is that the safety button was a pain, but after reading the comments I found out you can just pull it out with a pair of pliers.

After trimming the foam, I used spray glue to attach it to the seat. I always use spray adhesive for foam projects; it's definitely the easiest route to go.
Then I covered it in batting to [more or less] smooth out the edges.  


After that was finished, I covered it in my fabric. I found this fabric at a thrift store. I'm not sure what it was used for before, but it was plenty thick so I figured I could use it for a chair seat sometime.
I trimmed it to the size I needed and stapled all the way around. I don't have an air compressor staple gun, so my hand was pretty sore by the end of it!








With that part done, the harder part was next. I sanded the chair, then primed it with 2 coats of primer and then painted it with a few coats of paint. It would have been easier with spray paint!




After I also put a coat or two of Polycrylic on it since I knew it'd suffer through rough handling, being a chair. 

The finished product:



And since I bought more than one of these chairs, here's a side-by-side comparison:



I like it well enough. The pictures make the white of the fabric look like it's clashing with the white of the chair, but it's actually not that bad. 
I'm fulfilling my desire to have mis-matching chairs at my dining table!